5th Grade Language Arts
This engaging, literature-based Language Arts class will use games and other fun activities to cover 5th grade level state standards for Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Grammar, and Spelling. This semester we will be reading Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates.
Ready to enroll?
Login to book
Feb. 2, 2022 - May 25, 2022
Meets One time for 16 weeks on Wednesday
Time 11:00AM - 11:55AM PST
This class will cover state standards for:
· Reading, including fluency, vocabulary (Greek & Latin roots), comprehension, use of synonyms/antonyms/homographs, reading for information, drawing inferences, genre characteristics, story elements, themes, and archetypes in myths and other cultures.
· Writing, including multi paragraph narrative compositions with critical story elements, multi-paragraph expository compositions using chronological/sequential information, use of thesaurus, and citations.
· Writing genres to include narratives, expository, research, and persuasive compositions.
· Writing conventions of grade-appropriate grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.
· Listening & Speaking skills including making inferences, drawing conclusions, interpreting verbal and nonverbal messages, and effect oral communication that engages the audience with appropriate verbal cues, facial expressions, and gestures.
This class is live, online, and interactive. We will use games, music, crafts, drama, and other fun methods to cover the material.
There are 15 class meeting dates: 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/2, 3/9, 3/16, 3/23, 3/30, 4/6, (2 weeks off) 4/27, 5/4, 5/11, 5/18, 5/25
Students will generate
at least one written work sample per week which may be included in a work
portfolio and/or submitted to a charter school teacher.
|Class size||2-10 students|
Each student will need a copy of the book Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates.
Questions about this course?Contact us
About the Instructor
Kathy Kendrick earned a BA in Communicative Disorders and MS in Instructional Design and Technology and teaches many different classes including American Sign Language, Language Arts, Reading/Phonics (Orton-Gillingham trained) and her newest passion is “Gameschooling”.
Other Classes Taught by Kathy Kendrick
There have been no reviews submitted yet.