6th Grade Language Arts
This engaging, literature based Language Arts class will use games and other fun activities to cover 6th grade level state standards for Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Grammar, and Spelling. This semester we will be reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
Ready to enroll?
Login to book
Jan. 31, 2022 - June 6, 2022
Meets One time for 16 weeks on Monday
Time 9:00AM - 9:55AM PST
This class will cover state standards for:
· Reading, including fluency, vocabulary including figurative language and words with multiple meanings, use of vocabulary nuance, comprehension of informational text, expository analysis/critique, & literary analysis.
· Writing, including multi-paragraph compositions with clear topic sentence/purpose, detailed/precise verbs, nouns, & adjectives as supporting details that create a visual image in the readers' minds.
· Writing genres to include narratives, expository compositions, research reports with a bibliography, response to literature, and persuasive essays.
· Writing conventions of grade-appropriate sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.
· Listening & Speaking skills including identifying speaker's tone, mood and emotions, restating and executing multi-step oral instructions, organizing and delivering oral communications, analysis of rhetorical devices, and identification of false/misleading information in media/television.
This class is live, online, and interactive. We will use games, music, crafts, drama, and other fun methods to cover the material.
Class meeting dates: 1/31, 2/7, 2/14, (no class 2/21), 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21, 3/28, 4/4. (2 weeks off),4/25, 5/2, 5/9, 5/16 and 5/23.
Students will generate
at least one written work sample per week which may be included in a work
portfolio and/or submitted to a charter school teacher.
|Class size||2-10 students|
Each student will need a copy of the book: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Questions about this course?Contact us
About the Instructor
Kathy Kendrick earned a BA in Communicative Disorders and MS in Instructional Design and Technology and teaches many different classes including American Sign Language, Language Arts, Reading/Phonics (Orton-Gillingham trained) and her newest passion is “Gameschooling”.
Other Classes Taught by Kathy Kendrick
There have been no reviews submitted yet.