Students will learn about the chemical reactions that take place in living organisms. Combining biology and chemistry, we will look at the biochemistry of the cell, metabolism, and genetics.
Ready to enroll?
Login to book
April 20, 2022 - May 25, 2022
Meets One time for 6 weeks on Wednesday
Time 9:00AM - 9:55AM PST
This course consists of 6 classes using Google Classroom. I will share a slide show, notes, and a quiz, to be completed at home using the posted materials, for each class. Additionally, there will be a short weekly question for students to respond to, as well as interaction with classmate’s posts.
- Class #1 - Molecular Components of Cells, Part 1: chemistry as a basis of biological phenomena, water, pH, amino acids, and proteins.
- Class #2 - Molecular Components of Cells, Part 2: nucleotides, nucleic acids, and recombinant DNA (cloning/chimeric genes).
- Class #3 - Molecular Components of Cells, Part 3: lipids, membranes, carbohydrates, and cell surfaces.
- Class #4 - Enzymes
- Class #5 - Cellular Energetics: thermodynamics of biological systems, ATP, and energy-rich compounds.
- Class #6 - Metabolism and Its Regulation: overview, glycolysis, and energy producing pathways.
|Class size||3-10 students|
Students will need access to computer with internet access. All materials will be supplied by the instructor through Google Classroom.
Questions about this course?Contact us
About the Instructor
Heather Vargas has 25 years experience in teaching, 19 of those homeschooling her 5 children. Two are in college now - the first is pursuing degrees in physics and global studies at UC Berkeley and the second is studying political science and psychology at San Diego State, while the youngest ones are still homeschooled. Having attended UCLA for undergraduate and graduate school and earning a degree in molecular and cellular biology, science and math are a specialty. After many years of creating and teaching her own homeschool curriculum, she is able to supply and teach curriculum in all subjects.
Other Classes Taught by Heather Vargas
Starting Jan. 31, 2022 @ 2:00PM PSTView course
There have been no reviews submitted yet.